Estimated Length: Open Ended
The Client has a vacancy for a FMS Architect/Developer.
The FMS Architect/Developer will be a member of the FMS Technical Systems team reporting to the Director of Application Supporting Services. FMS is a financial management system developed on two separate platforms. The accounting system is a Web based application. The candidate will be responsible for support, maintenance and new development of batch jobs, scripts and interfaces as well as data access routines to the Oracle database. Technical knowledge should include strong SQL, PL/SQL and Unix Shell scripting. Java and JEE experience is a large PLUS but not required. This position does not provide too much opportunity for coding in Java, but debugging Java programs is a strong possibility. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for developing/modifying software components, configuring third party software, packaging code for deployment, troubleshooting technical application issues across environments, and performing ad-hoc technical tasks as directed by the manager of the FMS Application development group. The candidate will also conduct technical reviews of peer work, prepare formal evaluations of vendor deliverables and author technical designs. Candidate will also be required to be part of a rotation for nightly production support (on-call) every few weeks.
The details of the position responsibilities are as follows:
• Ensure that the FMS application software, as designed and developed by Client's vendors, meets the City's functional and technical requirements by conducting reviews and formal evaluations of the vendor's application architecture/technical solutions and development work for quality, completeness, and adherence to Client and industry standards for Web-based development;
• Develop new components and enhancements to the suite financial management systems in the FMS suite of applications - adhering to Client and New York City development standards.
• Identify, review and analyze vendor deliverables to ensure that they meet key technical/non-functional requirements for the performance, operability, and maintainability of the application software.
• Serve as an escalation point for the resolution of production application issues when application issues are encountered in the software: 1) during the online day by users, and 2) support staff and in the evening during the execution of the batch cycle.
• The candidate will similarly support software testing tracks in non-production application environments by providing batch cycle and technical software support.
• Design and Execute technical tests as necessary to ensure that vendor and Client software deliveries address the business and technical problems in a manner consistent with Client standards for quality and completeness. • Review and provide feedback on functional business designs in terms of technical feasibility and impact on performance, operability, and maintainability - and completeness of solution;
• Support Client Business Units by helping to troubleshoot job flow and application execution problems during the simulation and production executions of FMS business events. The same assistance will be performed as end user software issues are reported and escalated to development by level 2 user support teams.
• Gather production operation requirements and incorporate the requirements into the products authored by the Client development team.
• Coordinate with the Financial Systems Production Operations Units to implement new software processes into the staging and production environments.
• The candidate is expected to have strong analytical and problem solving skills and be able to work independently and interact with other Financial system team members including Operations, Business Unit and Testing as directed by the FMS Development Team lead
• Experienced as a Developer / Architect on at least (2) full life cycle project iterations, which included the design and developing of large of scale architectures consisting of distributed services and batch services executing in UNIX based with Oracle as the primary DB.
• Advanced skills in Oracle structures for processing and performance based applications including a thorough understanding of advanced SQL and PL/SQL programming techniques. Ability to write and troubleshoot anonymous SQL blocks and stored procedures and be proficient in authoring quality SQL which takes advantage of Oracle performance features and facilities is a must.
• Proficiency in using and navigating in UNIX. This should include intermediate to advanced Unix commands, understanding directory structures, permissions schemes and the ability to piece together useful tools from basic Unix commands. Advanced in developing new and modifying existing shell scripts.
• Advanced proficiency in Korn Shell scripting and programming techniques.
• Good understanding of messaging oriented middleware (MOM) and some hands on experience with Websphere MQ/MQ Series.
• Good understanding of standard SDLC methodologies.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must.
• Experience with any of the following is a PLUS:
- Java, JEE
- Rational Clearquest, Rational Clearcase, BMC Remedy
- Background in accounting and/or budgeting packages.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and six years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
3. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
4. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above.