Estimated Length: Open Ended
Note: Under Executive Order 75, all new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, as described in the “COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement” section below.
The Client and the Office of Payroll Administration has a vacancy for a Mainframe Programmer Analyst in the FMS (Financial Management System). FMS is a financial management system developed on two separate platforms. The Accounting system is a Web based application and the Budget system is a Mainframe based application. The candidate will be a member of the FMS Technical Systems team reporting to FMS Inventory and Integration Services Team Lead. Under the direction of the Team Lead with wide latitude for independent judgment, s/he will be responsible for support, maintenance and new development of the online as well as the batch mainframe programs. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for packaging code for deployment, troubleshooting technical application issues across Production and Non-Production environments, performing ad-hoc technical tasks as directed by the Team Lead. The candidate will also conduct technical reviews of peer work, prepare formal evaluations of vendor deliverables and author technical designs. Candidate will also be required to be part of a rotation for nightly production support (on-call) every few weeks.
The details of the position responsibilities are as follows:
• Ensure that the FMS application software, as designed and developed by Client and Client's vendors, meets the City's functional and technical requirements by conducting reviews and formal evaluations of the application architecture/technical solutions and development work for quality, completeness, and adherence to Client and industry standards.
• Develop new components and enhancements to the Financial Management Systems in the FMS suite of applications - adhering to Client and New York City development standards.
• Serve as an escalation point for the resolution of production application issues when application issues are encountered in the software: 1) during the on line day· by users, and 2) support staff and in the evening during the execution of the batch cycle.
• The candidate will similarly support software testing tracks in non-production application environments by providing batch cycle and technical software support.
• Design and Execute technical tests as necessary to ensure that vendor and Client software deliveries address the business and technical problems in a manner consistent with Client standards for quality and completeness. • Review and provide feedback on functional business designs in terms of technical feasibility and impact on performance, operability, and maintainability - and completeness of solution;
• Support Client Business Units by helping to troubleshoot job flow and application execution problems during the simulation and production executions of FMS business events. The same assistance will be performed as end user software issues are reported and escalated to development by level 2 user support teams.
• Gather production operation requirements and incorporate the requirements into the products authored by the Client development team.
• Coordinate with the Financial Systems Production Operations Units to implement new software processes into the staging and production environments
• The candidate is expected to have strong analytical and problem solving skills and be able to work independently and interact with other Financial system team members including Operations, Business Unit and Testing as directed by the Team Lead. Candidate is also expected to provide guidance and mentoring to other team members where necessary and work closely with the Team Lead.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, information systems, engineering, mathematics or related field and six years of satisfactory full-time experience related to enterprise architecture, solutions architecture, network architecture and/or IT infrastructure systems; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and ten years of satisfactory full-time experience related to enterprise architecture, solutions architecture, network architecture and/or IT infrastructure systems; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above.
Strong experience in the following:
COBOL, COBOL II,
JCL, JCL PROCS, IBM UTILITIES, SYNC Sort utility, File Aid utility,
CICS (command level),
DB2, SQL, SPUFI, QMF, DB2 UTILITIES is a plus,
• Experienced as a Mainframe Programmer Analyst on at least (2) full life cycle project iterations, which included the design and developing of large scale Mainframe applications.
• Good understanding of standard SDLC methodologies.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills a must.
• Background in Accounting and/or Budgeting applications is a plus