Estimated Length: 26 months Work hours:37.50 Est. OT Hrs/Wk:
This position falls within the IT Workload & Program Management Office (PMO) Division of the Client Headquarters Information Technology (Client IT) Department. The Client IT Program Management Office is responsible for executing the portfolio of IT initiatives and projects by applying an enterprise-wide approach to best practice project management standards and methodologies. The Project Manager (PM) will serve as an essential manager and contributor to the Railroads Workforce Scheduling Program, which includes the below two (2) critical projects:
(1) Implementation of a Centralized Train Scheduling System (CTSS) for Long Island Rail Road (LIRR), and
(2) Implementation of a Crew Dispatching and Management System (CDMS) for Metro-North Railroad (MNR) and Long Island Rail Road.
The role requires significant interaction with cross-functional departments within the organization, and excellent communication and relationship management skills.
Experience should include solid background in project documentation, user problem identification, problem assessment, vendor management, development of alternative solutions, working with technical resources/vendors during the design, development, testing, and implementation phases of the project to ensure business needs are being satisfied. Experience with Waterfall project management methodologies is required. Experience with Agile project management methodologies is a plus.
Work Location will be in one of the Client’s NYC offices. Work schedule will be a hybrid of in-person and teleworking based on Program Manager’s guidance, clients’ needs, and consultant’s performance.
• Leads the project/program team through the project/program lifecycle process. Develops project/program plans and manages resources, project/program schedule and budget to meet deliverables.
• Integrates the work of large teams and multiple vendors, with members across Agencies and functional departments, to deliver project/program success and ensure benefits realization.
• Ensures all deliverables and commitments are met and the project is in compliance with relevant standards, laws, regulations and methodologies.
• Establishes or clarifies project/program scope and business objectives with relationship managers and/or business clients to ensure quality, accuracy and delivery time.
• Interfaces with clients and management to manage expectations, provide status updates on project/program and discuss concerns. Is accountable for ensuring resolution of concerns/issues.
• Conducts feasibility, risk, regulatory compliance, and Return on Investment (ROI) analyses as needed, and presents recommendations.
• Reviews and evaluates all phases of project controls by conducting stage gate reviews and project steering committee briefings.
• Manages the project/program schedule with a comprehensive understanding of the critical path and recommends schedule changes to address schedule control issues as needed.
• Addresses unusual and non-recurring problems by devising approaches to assess the situation, developing and testing options, and introducing new procedures or tools, as necessary.
• Redesigns the project team continually, including the roles and skills required, as the project/program evolves, to ensure the delivery of project/program results.
• Reviews business functions, understands/elicits clients’ requirements, and evaluates output requirements and formats.
• Analyzes and documents stakeholder needs/processes, and identifies gaps, areas for improvement, and solutions.
• Manages multiple competing priorities through effective organization and communication.
• Coordinates deployment of software releases with IT, Agency and Vendor.
• Coordinates and documents release test plans and execution results with Agency and IT.
• Functions independently with limited work direction.
• Expert knowledge of project management methodologies, tools and software packages including Waterfall, Agile, Hybrid.
• Proven ability to identify gaps, conflicts, dependencies, and constraints in scope, requirements, delivery, training, and deployment and work with necessary parties for resolution.
• Proven ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, including the ability to develop and implement controls.
• Excellent verbal, written communication, planning, organizational, coordination, documentation, prioritization, and project management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
• Self-starter, highly motivated and result-driven professional with dedication to providing high quality service.
• Ability to be flexible and recognize the need to pivot in a changing environment with appropriate sense of urgency and commitment for critical deliverables.
• Proven effective problem solving, decision making, critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Samples of work products (project plan, business requirements, etc) upon request.
• Experience implementing Transportation Industry IT Solutions.
Additional Skills and Information:
Education and Experience:
• 10+ years of relevant experience in Project Management and Business Systems Analysis.
• 3+ years experience managing a matrixed team consisting of business users, software developers, quality assurance/control specialists, infrastructure support staff, vendors, systems/business analysts is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Information Technology or related field.
• Proven track record in developing and mentoring effective project managers and business analysts in delivering large, complex projects or programs.
• Advanced level proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project).
• Experience with HP ALM, Jira preferred.