Estimated Length: 12 Months Work hours:37.50 Est. OT Hrs/Wk:
*PLEASE NOTE THIS POSITION WILL ALLOW CONSULTANT TO WORK REMOTELY.
(VERY HIGH EXPECTATION THAT CONSULTANT WILL BE PROFESSIONAL, RELIABLE, REACHABLE AND ABLE TO WORK PRODUCTIVELY WHILE REMOTE). WILL COME ONSITE ONLY AS NEEDED BY THEIR MANAGER/TEAM (AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE).
(Position still remains 100% remote).
MTA API and Data Product Manager Job Description
The MTA is building a team of human-centered strategists, designers, writers, and technologists to reimagine the customer experience for the millions of people that we move through the city each day. We are looking for a product manager who can move the MTA’s customer data towards a path of constant iteration and improvement.
We need someone who cares about data and how it affects our riders. You will manage our APIs, both internal and external. You will view them as products, documenting and managing continuous improvement and iteration. You’ll also manage some of the API source systems, including our version of OpenTripPlanner.
You will be able to speak knowledgeably about data best practices while never losing sight of what riders actually need. You’ll be detail oriented, helping hunt down bugs and tuning the trip planner to provide better recommendations. This person should also understand the value of organizing, documenting, and sharing information so that people inside and outside your team know what’s going on.
This is a large portfolio, so it’s likely that over time we’ll get some help and parts of it may transfer to other people.
- Own the documentation for internal and external APIs, with an eye towards optimizing the developer experience inside and outside the MTA.
- Manage the roadmap for our key APIs and OpenTripPlanner.
- Coordinate with stakeholders around the roadmap, serving as an advocate for developers and riders.
- Collaborate with other cross-functional teams (front- and back-end developers, as well as UX designers, project managers, QA, etc.) in delivering quality products while balancing user experience, technical capabilities, and business goals.
- Keep projects and product development on a set timeline towards meeting agreed-upon milestones.
- Be an internal subject-matter expert on our APIs and OpenTripPlanner.
- Troubleshoot issues raised by users and stakeholders to help ensure their resolution.
- Document and prioritize bugs.
- Manage individual projects to successful completion.
- Set and monitor product KPIs and provide recommendations based on results; monitor, measure, and report on the performance and impact of product enhancements.
- Document product requirements with clear feature specifications, and draft end-user documentation.
- Negotiate and manage relationships with current and potential vendors.
- Follow the team's agile tools and practices.
- Stay apprised of industry trends and best practices.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- 4-5+ years experience in a digital product role.
- Experience managing a data-centric product.
- Familiarity with transit data standards like GTFS and GTFS-rt is preferred.
- Familiarity with API testing tools like Postman and curl is required.
- Curiosity and passion. Interested in the MTA, our products, our industry, and are always trying to learn more.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills. Enjoys collaboration and working as part of a team.
- Able to build consensus and buy-in by effectively communicating strategic vision and value.
- Able to clearly and concisely communicate technical, operational, and business requirements.
- Bias toward action and delivering value. Able to work through ambiguity to create focus and executable tasks.
- Organized and able to manage many competing priorities simultaneously.
- Experience with agile frameworks is a plus.