Estimated Length: 3 months 37.5 Hours per week
• Open, sort, and review litigation mail; separate general litigation mail from mortgage foreclosure
• Upload the mail and other documentation into NYMatters and forward to the assigned staff.
• Review all e-mails from the Unified Court System in mortgage foreclosure cases; in those cases
where there is a surplus money, open up a surplus file for preparation of a notice of claim for
• Prepare notice of appearance in mortgage foreclosure cases.
• Return all mortgage foreclosure mail to the plaintiff in those cases where the county district
attorneys should be named as a party instead of the AG’s office.
• Prepare letters to various courts, including letters to Supreme Court in response to notices of
mandatory court appearances in mortgage foreclosure cases.
• Calendar court dates, motion return dates, and other deadlines regarding litigation files.
• Answer questions from the general public, court personnel, and regional staff.
• Make travel arrangements and prepare travel vouchers for the attorneys.
• Maintain trial calendar for Hauppauge Office attorneys for submission to Bureau Chief and upper
• Gather information for the monthly reports, which tracks pending cases, including surplus money
• Type or draft correspondence, reports, legal documents and memorandums based on verbal
and/or written instruction.
• Prepare Table of Contents and Table of Authorities by utilizing programs such as Microsoft Word
and Adobe Acrobat.
• Uses various information technology applications such as email, database, spreadsheets, and
word processing applications.
• Searches for information using various sources including the internet.
• Assemble motion papers and exhibits.
• Electronically file court documents.
• Answer telephone/e-mails from client agencies, respond to questions concerning policy or
procedures; refer calls/e-mails to appropriate staff member.
• Mail and/or e-mail documents on behalf of attorneys.
• Label and maintain files.
• Open, sort, proofread/review incoming mail for factual correctness, enter in Bureau database and
distribute to appropriate staff.
• Update, monitor and track the status of litigation files in NYMatters.
• Set up, and maintain paper/electronic files of correspondence/documents. Search for requested
material as requested.
• Send/request files to/from the Archive using the Oracle Web Applications.
• Answer calls/e-mails from attorneys requesting status update of files, records and Claims
• Distribute completed work product to appropriate agency or regional office by mail or personal
• Coordinate summer internships and interface with legal recruitment.
• Interact and follow up with experts to ensure that they submit deliverables in a timely fashion.
• Fax, copy, and scan documents as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday (1 hour lunch) or
9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday- Friday (half-hour lunch)