Estimated Length: Open Ended
Note: Under Executive Order 75, all new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, as described in the “COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement” section below.
The Clients are seeking a highly motivated and seasoned manager to oversee the mainframe systems within the shared systems division. This is a leadership role for the mainframe systems team and requires an individual to oversee and the day-to-day operations of the group. The team is responsible for the IBM mainframe computer system, program products, subsystems and storage. The candidate will manage task assignment, and performance management, setting team and individual goals.
• Ensure that the mainframe team works together as a team and also within the enterprise to ensure that the systems remain available according to the SLA.
• Provide a leadership role in z/OS administration, performance management, hardware configuration, and implementation of mainframe technologies and DR solution for the agency.
• Oversee and monitor daily operations and ensure issues are escalated.
• Serve as a lead for matters related to disaster recovery.
• Research and implement strategic solutions related to mainframe systems.
• Ensure that Client department technical policies are followed.
PERFORMANCE, MONITORING, AND CAPACITY PLANNING:
• Analyze performance and capacity data.
• Perform daily, monthly and yearly performance and capacity planning for the mainframe systems.
• Run projects related to hardware and software upgrades.
• Develop and manage project plans. Lead and mentor the mainframe team to complete the project according to the timeline for large and small initiatives.
SOFTWARE VERSION MANAGEMENT:
• Keep track of new releases and maintenance of mainframe software.
• Work with the mainframe team to stay current on all software.
• Work with vendors to build and develop relationships.
• Act as a liaison to software and hardware vendors for capacity planning.
NEW TECHNOLOGIES: • Stay acquainted with new emerging technologies related to the mainframe. • Responsible for matching current technology with the need of the agency. • Evaluate and implement new technologies as needed.
DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT: • Write and manage all documentation and procedures related to mainframe systems. • Work with the Operations team to ensure that the proper procedural documents are accurate and current. FISCAL PLANNING: • Within the City and Client's budget and planning cycle, produce a plan that lays out the cost over time for hardware and software purchase/upgrades as necessitated by: end-of-life for hardware, new business requirements, end of support for software, capacity/growth, consolidation initiatives for cost reduction, etc.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering or a related field and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure engineering; or,
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure engineering; or,
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above.
• 20+ years of experience working as an infrastructure manager in a large-scale environment. • Experience with mainframe systems technologies, subsystems, and internals. If the candidate does not have experience with mainframe systems technologies, we will also accept strong experience in AIX/Linux/Unix systems.
• Strong understanding of IBM mainframe z/OS operating system, control, structure, logic, and security. If the candidate does not have experience with the mainframe platform, we will also accept infrastructure management of AIX/Linux/Unix systems with enterprise storage systems.
• Must be self-motivated, able to find answers on his/her own, and experienced in problem determination/analysis/resolution.
• Ability to work well and communicate with other departments, agencies, and technical support staff- including the ability to document and explains problems,
• Ability to complete team projects by coordinating team resources and working with other departments and the data center.
• Ability to plan, manage time according to schedules, and provide status updates required.
• Ability to work with staff to quickly learn new technologies and resolve issues.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
• Excellent communications skills (oral and written)